What to Do and What to Avoid after a Slip or Fall
It can be embarrassing when you slip or fall in public. Most people get up quickly, brush it off saying they are fine, and try to exit the building as fast as they can. If your pride really is the only thing that you hurt, then that’s all fine and well. However, what most people don’t realize is that just because you feel fine immediately after falling doesn’t mean you’ll continue to be fine hours or days later. Your brain doesn’t always communicate pain to your body right away. Due to the embarrassment of falling in public and the adrenaline released into your body by your brain, you may not realize you are hurt right away. Ottawa slip and fall lawyers know from experience that sometimes it takes a couple of hours or even a couple of days for injuries to appear from such an accident.
Dos and Don’ts after a Slip or Fall
Sadly, there are people who’ve suffered from injuries sustained in a slip and fall accident and can never receive compensation for medical bills or missed time from work, even if the accident wasn’t their fault. This is because they made the mistake of saying they were fine after they fell. No one wants to be one of those people who threatens to sue every time they bump an elbow, nor to waste the time of slip and fall lawyers in Ottawa on trivial cases. But the truth is, you’re not wasting time, and you should be careful with what you say and do after a slip or fall. These dos and don’ts will help you the next time you slip or fall:
- DON’T rush to get up-before getting up and “brushing it off,” take a few more seconds and make sure nothing is seriously hurt
- DON’T be embarrassed-it can happen to anyone. There’s no need to be ashamed of falling, and your embarrassment can lead you to say things you may regret later.
- DO get up slowly and carefully-pay attention to anything that hurts as you stand up
- DON’T say that you’re ok-if someone asks if you are all right, say that you’re not sure.
- DO take a look around-take note of anyone who saw you fall. They may be helpful to you later.
Remember to Go to the Doctor
It may seem trivial to visit the doctor after falling, but if you notice that you are hurt later that day or the next day, do not wait; visit your doctor right away. Waiting too long may cost you a lot in the long run. It’s just not worth it to take chances with your health-Ottawa slip and fall lawyers have seen too many people make that mistake in the past.